- Types of Shaker Glasses
- Boston Shaker Glass
- Cobbler Shaker Glass
- Parisian/ French Shaker Glass
- Tin on Tin Shaker Glass
- Uses of a Shaker Glass
A cocktail shaker is one of the most iconic bar tools that a bartender is known for. We are familiar with how it works but perhaps not as much when it’s deconstructed. A cocktail shaker has more than one component and this article will be solely about the shaker glass.
The shaker glass is the one-half of a Boston shaker and the one-third of a Cobbler shaker. Since there are different types of cocktail shakers, normally they would also differ in the shaker glass. For the purpose of this article, “shaker glass” would refer to the body component of the cocktail shaker, regardless of what they are made of. If you’re interested to know all about the different types of shaker glasses, this article is for you. Let’s dive in.
Types of Shaker Glasses
To date, there are four types of cocktail shakers, in terms of the structure and components. They are the Boston shaker, Cobbler shaker, Parisian shaker and Tin on tin shaker. Obviously, they differ in structure and form overall. Despite the resemblance between their shaker glasses, they still have a couple of differences. Here they are:
1. Boston Shaker Glass
The most common and most used type of cocktail shaker by bartenders is the Boston shaker because it is easy to use and clean. It is recognizable because of its two-piece construction, the shaker tin and the mixing or shaker glass.The glass is made of soda lime glass and it measures 16 oz. while the tin measures 28 oz. The shaker glass is closely associated with a pint glass because of the measurement and resemblance that they share. However, there are some differences in heating during the process of making them and the Boston shaker glass is specifically designed to withstand the impact of ice cubes when shaking and potential cracking. With this, you can’t substitute it with a pint glass because chances are, it will eventually chip especially when separating it from the shaker tin because a pint glass is more fragile.
- Heavyweight Design - Aside from shaking, a Boston shaker glass is also ideal for muddling and stirring ingredients.
- Clear Glass - Allows you to see the ingredients to ensure that they are properly mixed or muddled. Also, when shaking, it provides a clear view of the colors that are coming together from mixing the ingredients.
- Dishwasher-safe - When you have too much work to take care of at the bar, you can safely stick the shaker glass in the dishwasher to save time and effort.
- Compatible with standard Boston tins - It can fit almost any Boston shaker tin whose measurements range from 24 - 30 oz.
- Durable material - It is made from soda lime glass which is a strong type, making it resistant to cracks and abrasion.
- Large volume - The Boston shaker is bigger than the other shaker glasses, and one can make more than one drink from one shake.
- Easy storage - The shaker glass has a conical shape like other standard glass, making it easy to stack.
- Can still break - Glass is not indestructible, so if you’re not careful in separating the shaker glass from the shaker tin, it could break.
- Not for everyone - Because it is glass, it requires more skills and it caters to professionals rather than beginners.
- Common look - The appearance of the shaker glass isn’t far off from a pint glass or any regular glass, making it look less interesting.
2. Cobbler Shaker Glass
The Cobbler cocktail shaker, also known as the Japanese shaker, consists of three parts: the shaker glass, a strainer and a cap, all three are made from stainless steel. It is known for being smaller than other cocktail shakers with the shaker glass only measuring 17 oz. Although, compared to the Boston shaker glass, the Cobbler is bigger by 1 oz. but given that the other half of the Boston shaker is a 28-ounce shaker tin, it provides a much bigger area for shaking. Because it is made from metal, it makes the drink get cold faster. If you look closely, the shape of the shaker glass is a bit rounded rather than a slant but there are varying shapes.
- Room for Decoration-The Cobbler shaker glass has the edge in terms of the exterior design because it can have a variety of colors and finishes that make it look pleasing.
- Less Dilution-Because of the lesser volume and the material, the ice would not melt as fast and the drink would not be diluted as much.
- Easy to Use-The shaker glass when attached with the other two components make one shaker that is easy to use, that is why beginners use it when they are practicing.
- Gets Cold Faster-Being made from metal, which is a good conductor, ice reacts faster, thus making the drink get cold faster.
- Small Volume-Given its small fluid ounce capacity overall, it can only make one drink, that is why it is suitable for practice but not for busy times at the bar.
- Prone to Getting Stuck-As mentioned, metal is a conductor, and it normally gets cold fast when filled with ice. When it gets cold, the metal contracts, making a vacuum seal that sticks the shaker glass with the strainer. The longer it is shaken, the more stuck it will be.
- Prone to Leaks-Unlike the Boston shaker glass that creates a tight seal with the shaker tin, the Cobbler shaker glass is simply placed together or attached with the strainer so the drink will more likely leak when shaking.
3. Parisian/ French Shaker Glass
Among the other two cocktail shakers, the Parisian cocktail shaker is the least common but more expensive. It is somehow a combination of a Boston shaker and a Cobbler shaker because it has two pieces: the shaker glass and a cap, which looks like the strainer part of the Cobbler shaker. Both pieces are still made from stainless steel. The shaker glass may vary in size but they usually measure 18 - 20 oz. As opposed to the Cobbler shaker’s, the Parisian shaker glass has a slender look.
- Sophisticated Look-It has a sleek design and it also comes in various colors. With a simple design and construction, it manages to be elegant and classy.
- Chills Faster-Being made from stainless steel, it makes the drink cold faster.
- Strong and Durable-Even if you drop the shaker glass many times, it can withstand dents, scratches and breakage.
- Versatile-Since it is a combination of the Boston and Cobbler shaker, it is easy to use so it’s great for beginners but also suitable for professionals because of its practicality and look.
- Great Sound-The Parisian shaker glass is make from a thicker stainless steel making it sound great as the ice cubes hit the surface, producing a nice rattling sound
- Easy to clean-The shape of the shaker glass is simple, making it easy to clean and store and it is also dishwasher-safe.
- Better Seal-The cap of the Parisian cocktail shaker attaches to the shaker glass from the inside, giving it a tighter seal so there would be no leaks.
- Can get Stuck-It is still made from stainless steel, therefore, it still has chances of getting stuck with the cap, though not as much as the Cobbler shaker glass.
- Can’t be Substituted-This type of cocktail shaker is difficult to find, expensive, least common and specifically designed to perfectly fit the cap so the shaker glass is not easily substituted with any type of tin cup.
4. Tin on Tin Shaker Glass
There is a new cocktail shaker that’s gaining popularity nowadays. The tin on tin cocktail shaker is a variation of the Boston shaker and works the same way but instead of a pint-sized glass, the shaker glass is stainless steel and measures 18 oz. (size can vary). Its shaker glass is also called “cheater tin” or “Toby tin”.
- Better seal-The two-tin shaker creates a tighter seal than is less likely to create leaks and only requires less effort to separate because of the tough material that can withstand a strong slap to break the seal.
- Long-lasting-Whether through constant use and strain or countless bumps and drops, because it is made from stainless steel rather than glass, it is free from shattering and less likely needs to be replaced.
- Lighter-You’ll need less energy to shake which is helpful during a busy time at the bar.
- Can be substituted-Unlike the Parisian and Cobbler shaker glasses that attach to the cap, the shaker glass of the tin on tin slots to the other shaker tin to create an airtight seal, so it can be replaced by any tin cup as long as it fits.
- Chills faster-Another shaker glass that is made of metal which means that it also gets cold easily and faster.
- Large capacity-The shaker tin alone can be more than a pint so it can create 2 - 3 cocktails in one shake.
- May be mismatched-Not all tin cups can be substituted with the shaker glass so the wrong one can cause a mismatch and possible leaks.
- Not for everyone-Like the Boston shaker, this shaker requires more skills so it’s reserved for professional bartenders.
- Ingredients are not visible-Stainless steel is obviously not transparent so you won’t see the ingredients from the outside and it may be difficult when muddling as well.
Uses of a Shaker Glass
As a whole, cocktail shakers have a number of uses. But, if it’s just the shaker glass, its functions are as follows:
- Muddling - the shaker glass can be used for directly muddling ingredients in so when liquors are added, the lid can be put on so it can be shaken immediately, in short, there’s no need for transferring.
- Mixing/ Stirring - For drinks that don’t need to be shaken, the ingredients can be combined and stirred in the shaker glass.
- Serving Glass - In the case of the Boston shaker glass, occasionally, it can be used to serve drinks because of its resemblance with a pint glass.
The shaker glass is the most important component of the cocktail shaker. Whether on its own or together with the lid and strainer, it is responsible for making delicious cocktails that we know and love. If you are up to buy one, try buying a set, that way, you’ll save money and you’ll get the other tools that you need for making amazing drinks. You can check out the best cocktail shaker sets right here. And you can practice your shaking skills with these amazing cocktail recipes.
- Share on:
- Pin it
, by JoshLevi Soriano 13 Best Lewis Bags and Ice Bags For Crushed Ice Cocktails in 2023: Reviews & Buying Guide
, by Joshua Soriano 22 Best Coffee Beers To Kickstart Your Morning In 2023
, by JoshLevi Soriano Grain Alcohol: The Drink With A Dangerously High ABV
What are the different shaker types? ›
There are three types of cocktail shakers: Boston shakers, Cobbler shakers, and French (or Parisian) shakers. Most professional bartenders and mixologists opt for Boston shakers when preparing cocktails, while many people include Cobbler shakers in their home bar essentials.What type of shaker is best? ›
The Boston shaker is the Major League. It's the cocktail shaker of choice for most bartenders and true cocktail apprentices. The Boston shaker consists of a shaking metal tin and a mixing glass tin but has no built-in strainer.What is a shaker glass? ›
A shaker glass was, and is, the 16-ounce glass half of a Boston cocktail shaker.What is a shaker used for? ›
A cocktail shaker is a bar tool designed to assist in the preparation of cocktails and mixed drinks. It acts as a closed vessel that allows you to quickly and thoroughly mix ingredients together while chilling the drink at the same time.How do I choose a shaker? ›
There is really no right or wrong in choosing a shaker. The different types of cocktail shakers all give the same result; a shaken cocktail. It all comes down to three things: design, versatility and the volume of liquids.Are glass Boston shakers good? ›
Boston Cocktail Shakers come in particularly handy when creating doubles of larger drinks or the need to capture smoke. The combination of the Boston tin and Boston glass leaves more room for creating more cocktails and also the glass Boston acts as a great viewing portal for any cocktails that contain or use smoke.What is a good shaker cup? ›
BlenderBottle Strada Is Our Choice for The Best Protein Shaker. The best shaker bottle is the BlenderBottle Strada. It is known by many as one of the best shaker bottle brands, and for a good reason. BlenderBottle makes one of the sturdiest and simple shaker bottles when mixing protein powder and other powders.What's the difference between a Boston shaker and a regular shaker? ›
The Boston Shaker and Cobbler shaker are two of the most common types of shakers available. The Boston Shaker consists of a stainless steel tin and a pint-sized glass (also known as a 2-piece shaker) whilst the Cobbler Shaker consists of the base, built-in strainer and lid (also known as a 3-piece shaker).Are shaker cabinets high quality? ›
Shaker furniture is known to have a timeless design and high-quality craftsmanship. One of the most beloved items that the Shaker community has created is the shaker cabinet door. The paneled doors, dovetail, solid wood frames, mortise, and tenon joints have become staples in many kitchens today.How do you use shaker glasses? ›
It's used with the glass half of the shaker, or your mixing glass, when pouring a drink that has been stirred. It's placed dome or curved side up (whichever feels best to you) into the glass and is held in place by your index finger while pouring.
Why is it called shaker? ›
History of shaker furniture and kitchen cabinets
The terms shaker cabinets and shaker-style doors were coined by the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing—also referred to as 'Shakers' at the time.
While other furniture makers used imported woods such as mahogany and rosewood, Shakers used local American woods such as pine, maple, and cherry.What type of shaker is most commonly used? ›
These two-piece shakers are what most professional bartenders use behind the bar, and at first blush, they seem really simple to use, since it's just two tins that fit into each other.
Thickness. Shaker rails and stiles almost always are 3/4-inch thick. To make simple shaker panels or doors, build a frame using 3/4-by-2 1/4-inch-wide stiles and rails.What is standard shaker? ›
The Boston Shaker: A two-piece shaker consisting of a 28 imp fl oz (800 ml) metal bottom and a 16 imp fl oz (450 ml) mixing container made of plastic, metal or (more traditionally) glass. The mixing container and bottom are inserted into each other for shaking or used separately for stirring or muddling.What is a mako shaker? ›
The Mako™ Shaker, designed as an alternative way to cap our 28 ounce shakers, resembles a 28oz shaker while actually holding 29oz of fluid content. The differing feature is it flairs out slightly, enabling the Mako™ to actually cap over the 28oz.What is the difference between weighted and unweighted Boston shaker? ›
Stainless Steel Boston Shaker Set
The larger tin is weighted to add rigidity but the smaller is unweighted to give the best seal.
Unlike Cobbler shakers, which include a lid and built-in strainer, the Boston style is less likely to leak or freeze shut and is easier to clean. Using a Boston shaker has a bit of a learning curve and does require a separate strainer, but it's truly the speediest option once you're trained.Can you put a banana in a shaker cup? ›
Bottom line, bananas are an athlete's food ally. They're also an easy addition to any shake, boosting the flavor and consistency. Before peeling, gently mash the banana with your fingers, then open the peel at one end and squeeze the mashed banana into your BlenderBottle® shaker cup. Shake it up and enjoy!What is special about a shaker bottle? ›
Shaker Bottles generally have a larger diameter cup than a standard drink bottle. This makes it easier to drop a scoop of protein powder into the cup without missing the target. The larger cup also makes it easier to clean once you've finished drinking, allowing you to easily fit your hand in and remove any residue.
Do shaker cups need a ball? ›
Mixing Ball: Friend or Foe
An important part of the shaker bottle is its ability to mix powder and fluid into a smooth consistency. After all, this is why we shake. Most shakers contain a stainless steel mixing ball which bounces around inside the container when we shake up our drink.
Check the reviews for mentions of rusting or leaking
If the cocktail shaker is made from food-grade stainless steel it should also be rust-resistant and long lasting. Needless to say there should be no leaking either. It's worth browsing reviews before buying to check if this is the case.
A Boston shaker will last as long as its two parts can create a seal. This is why you wouldn't want to bang the shaker on the bar to break its seal.Is a shaker necessary? ›
Unless you are using a blender, mixing protein powder without a shaker is a nightmare. Using a spoon, for example, will leave you with a lumpy mess that looks nothing like the milkshake that you were hoping for. A shaker – also known as a shaker bottle – is a plastic bottle with a small metal whisk inside.What are the cons of Shaker cabinets? ›
Because Shaker cabinets are so minimalistic, they may not fit into all home styles. If you have elaborate columns and molding throughout your home, the Shaker style may appear bland by comparison. Shaker may also turn away potential buyers who are looking for high-end home finishes.What kind of kitchen cabinets last the longest? ›
The most durable kitchen cabinets are ones made from solid hardwood. Cherry and maple are popular choices. They're the most expensive but they last a long time and look great doing it. Plywood and MDF (medium-density fiberboard) are less expensive choices.What makes kitchen cabinets look expensive? ›
Colours such as creams and beiges can make a kitchen look elegant and expensive. If your kitchen is modern, you can use dark colours, such as blacks and greys, which can make it look lavish and extravagant. White reflects light and makes the space look bigger, so complement white with some wood and metallic highlights.Is a mixing glass worth it? ›
Do I Really Need a Mixing Glass? A mixing glass truly is a core item of the cocktail tool kit; however, you can still make drinks without one. If you want to achieve optimal chill and dilution every time, though, a mixing glass is a worthy investment.Is a glass or metal shaker better? ›
Metal cocktail shakers are generally more durable and heat resistant than glass shakers. They are also less likely to break if dropped. However, metal shakers can be difficult to clean and can impart a metallic taste to your drinks. Glass cocktail shakers are usually cheaper than metal shakers and are easier to clean.Can you use shaker instead of mixing glass? ›
Cocktail Shaker Vs Mixing Glass
Some bartenders prefer to use a cocktail shaker because it is easier to shake the ingredients together and create a frothy drink. Others prefer to use a mixing glass because they feel they have more control over the mixing process and can avoid over- or under-mixing the drink.
What is Shaker style? ›
Put simply, shaker is a style of kitchen cabinets that have a very simple and minimalist design. Shaker style kitchen units will have flat centre panels, little to no ornamentation or decoration and will typically be made of wood with straight edges.What is modern shaker? ›
Simple Design: Incredible Quality
The Modern Shaker and Luxury Shaker are close cousins with subtle differences. The doors are both constructed from five pieces in the classic tradition of timber door manufacture. The Modern Shaker features a 93mm outer frame with small chamfered detail on the inside edge of the frame.
Shaker style furniture is characterized by clean lines, tapered legs, and minimalist designs. It's known for being practical and simple down to the very last detail.What are the characteristics of shaker? ›
Shaker furniture can be identified by its round wooden knobs, tapered legs and subtle curves. These features give shaker furniture its traditional, gentle look. While maple wood also seemed to be the wood of choice for most shaker pieces, many modern versions include pine, maple, cherry or other American woods.What are the elements of Shaker style? ›
The Shaker style of architecture, furniture, and decorative art is characterized by simplicity, utility, and craftsmanship. The Shaker sense of order and neatness is reflected in the their work's clean lines and lack of ornamentation.Are there different types of shaker cabinets? ›
There are many different styles of Shaker cabinets available on the market today. While the traditional Shaker style cabinet doors feature clean lines and simple hardware, modern Shaker cabinets often incorporate more intricate details and design elements.What are the three types of cocktail shaker? ›
There are three different types of cocktail shakers: the Boston, the Cobbler, and the Parisian (or the French). The Boston shaker has just two parts, and it is made up of two mixing glass-sized metal tins (though some consists of one metal tin and one mixing glass).What is a 3 piece shaker called? ›
The three-piece shaker, aka Cobbler shaker, has a built-in strainer on top that's covered with a third removable cap piece. I personally prefer using a two-piece, as do the majority bartenders, while the common choice at home is a three piece.Are Shaker cabinets high-quality? ›
Shaker furniture is known to have a timeless design and high-quality craftsmanship. One of the most beloved items that the Shaker community has created is the shaker cabinet door. The paneled doors, dovetail, solid wood frames, mortise, and tenon joints have become staples in many kitchens today.What is the best material for Shaker cabinet doors? ›
Plywood—Made from compressed, glued together layers of veneer (extremely thin sheets of wood,) plywood costs less than solid wood and can be easily painted, making it a good material for Shaker cabinets.
What is the difference in Shaker cabinets? ›
Is there any difference between regular cabinets and shaker cabinets? The designs of shaker cabinets are quite simple. They also have center panels and each features an overlay around its edges. The major distinction between them and regular cabinets is that their panels and edges are minimalistic in design.What are the two types of cocktail shaker? ›
The Boston Shaker and Cobbler shaker are two of the most common types of shakers available. The Boston Shaker consists of a stainless steel tin and a pint-sized glass (also known as a 2-piece shaker) whilst the Cobbler Shaker consists of the base, built-in strainer and lid (also known as a 3-piece shaker).How big should a shaker be? ›
What is the best size for shaker bottles? For protein drinks, the bigger the shaker bottle, the better. This is because protein powder requires volume when you mix it with other liquids and ingredients––a 28-ounce to 32-ounce shaker bottle is the ideal size.What can I use instead of a Boston shaker? ›
A Mason jar is the most common recommendation for those that don't have a cocktail shaker. Most people have a Mason or jam jar of some sort in their kitchen so this is arguably the most realistic alternative for most people.What is the difference between a Manhattan and Boston cocktail shaker? ›
The three-piece shaker
Often called a Manhattan shaker, it has an in-built strainer on top which immediately distinguishes it from the Boston shaker. The removable cap piece covering the strainer being the third component in the three-piece set.
Back in the 19th century, "Boston shaker" signified the smallest possible glass that would both hold the drink and form a seal with the tin. Oddly, the first known instance of its name actually referred to a catalogue listing for an all-metal shaker advertised in Britain in the 1920s.